There is still much to improve in eCommerce SEO and keywords search. Use our eCommerce monitoring software to improve your eCommerce SEO.
How to improve the on-site search performances of your brand?
Improve on-site-search performance with our search dashboard to monitor and improve your products ranking on all online sales channels. Learn more about our eCommerce monitoring software.
The top positions at a Search Engine Result Page are the most visible to the site visitors of an eCommerce retailer. These top products typically get the vast majority of the clicks and thus conversions.
1. Monitor the 'share of search' of your products
At SiteLucent we define the Share of search KPI as the % of the top positions, specifically the Top-3 (most visible) positions, on page 1 of the search results of a retailer website.
Monitor your share of search to:
- Identify keywords where your products perform well (or don't);
- Define the keywords for which you want to improve the search performance for specific products;
- Improve your brands' on-site search performance on specific keywords on specific retailers.
In the example below we see search performances for brand Tefal on Dutch e-retailer bol.com. We have selected 3 keywords 'koekenpan', 'pannenset' and 'pannenset inductie'.
The chart below shows the position on page 1 per keyword, visualized as a line chart for comparison between keywords over time.
2. Monitor search performance of competing brands
Benchmark competition: Find out which other brands' products you are competing with for the top positions in (category) search results.
In the example below we selected 3 competing cookware brands 'BK', 'Tefal' and 'Greenpan'. This chart shows the % of page 1 of the search result positions per brand for the keyword 'pannenset' (the Dutch word for 'pan set').
3. Improve your brands' on-site search performances
After you've defined for which keywords you want to improve your ranking on a specific keyword or within a product category, it is time to optimize your product pages. Getting a position in the top of (eCommerce) search engine results is a game consisting of many factors. Here are the most important ones:
A growing number of marketplaces and retailers have developed algorithms (like Amazon’s A9 algorithm) to improve search and recommendation engines. The core of these algorithms is based on ‘Sales Velocity’, in which higher sales are automatically
translated to better search results that again lead to more visits of the product
Keyword rich product pages
- We strongly advice you not to keyword-stuff your product pages. Try to use your main keyword once in the page’s URL, once in the product title, once or twice in the product description and once in the alt tag to tell search engines what an image is about.
- Provide a simple and organized layout in the description. Use HTML codes for bold print headings, blank lines and lists to prevent large blocks of text. This is important for both the customer and Google. Add bullet points when adding enumerations.
- Do not copy the product information one-on-one from your own or the manufacturers website. Change at least the first two lines. This makes the product description unique, making the product page score better in search results.
- Try to write a product description of at least 300 words. Put the most important information at the beginning of your product description.
- The richer the product detail page and related content, the better conversion will
be, and the better products will score in search results.
More online traffic (SEO) with reviews
Reviews provide fresh and unique content for search engines and reviewers use the same language as online shoppers searching for those products.
Positive customer reviews have a positive effect on conversion and thus on search
results. For instance, qualitative and quantitative reviews have a huge effect on
winning the buy box on Amazon. Monitoring reviews can help to improve your search ranking!
Products that sell more because of advertising or low pricing will get better organic search results and again lead to higher visits of the product detail page.
Monitoring your prices can help you optimize your prices so that you:
- Stay competitive (and win the buy box on marketplaces);
- Create a value perception that aligns with your brand;
- Cover costs and ensure that all channels in distribution make a profit by protecting margins.
Sponsored ads will show products above organic search results.
4. An ongoing process
For your products to be found online it is not enough to only choose the right keywords and place them in a smart way. Each marketplace and eCommerce platform has its own search algorithm which ponders many factors such as product availability, reviews, rich content and how well your product content matches a search intent. These factors and algorithms change over time, and also the supply on the market is constantly changing.
The Search Result dashboard of SiteLucent can help you monitor your products ranking on specific keywords and e-retailers daily. The other dashboards can help you optimize product page content, prices, availability and gain customer reviews so that you can constantly keep monitoring and improving.
Do you want to see how SiteLucent makes it possible to take control and stay ahead?
Schedule a live demo with one of our specialists or create your account for free to start right away!